[RE-wrenches] Splices in service panel

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Tue Sep 13 10:44:20 PDT 2016

Hi Ray,

I get your take on this. Certainly reviewing what manufacturers are
recommending helps. Generac has a pre-wired transfer switch backup panel,
but it is hard to tell from the literature what they are recommending we do
with neutrals:

http://www.generac.com/all-products/transfer-switches/home-backup

It seems clear to me that 300.3(B) requires all conductors of the same
circuit to be routed together if run in metallic raceway. Perhaps the
exception in 300.3(B)(3) Nonferrous Wiring Methods would allow neutrals to
stay back if you run your conductors in nonmetallic raceway or sheathing.
NEC 210.4 Multiwire Branch Circuits stipulates more requirements relating
to grouping conductors.

Best,

August