[RE-wrenches] Rapid Shutdown

bob at midnitesolar.com bob at midnitesolar.com
Tue Mar 15 19:04:08 PDT 2016

On 3/15/2016 5:23 PM, Ray Walters wrote:
> Hi Brad;
>
> I think that remotely tripping the inverter might work with Outback,
> but definitely not with Magnum. (I checked with them today) Also, if
> the battery cables are more than 5 ft long, the rapid disconnect
> /might/ have to be closer to the batteries.  (/690.12 ...shall apply
> only to PV system conductors more than 5 ft in length inside the
> building...)
> /
*

Ray,

There is no reason at all that any battery based inverter should not
work with our RSS system.

Did they give you a reason why the inverter can't be turned off by
switching off its battery circuit breaker ?

I almost always turn off a Magnum inverter (or other inverter) by
switching off its battery breaker,
at least when we're testing an E-panel system.  Works every time except
maybe if the grid
is or generator is connected and running.  In a shutdown condition,
those two things would
be dead and inactive.

Also, Our 600V Cat5 cable is USE-2 rated, shielded and tougher than nails.

Thanks and hallucinations,
boB
*