[RE-wrenches] Optics Re update

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Mon Jul 18 17:21:51 PDT 2016

Friends:

For those of you using or contemplating using Optics RE, here is an update:

As many of you know, the Optics RE has been unreliable in maintaining
connectivity.  There are “approved” connection methods which stipulate no
wifi, must be hard-wired with certain data transfer rate.  Even with an
approved system our Optics connectivity has been very unreliable.  So much
so that we installed a set of relays on our Control-by-web system to reboot
the Mate 3s.

I spoke with Outback about this at Intersolar.   There is a new firmware
revision that is purported to resolve this (.001).  We installed this last
Friday at one of our sites.  Today we found a lot of data gaps.  Contacting
tech support I learned that there was a server maintenance performed
today.  I also learned that there are frequent server maintenance sessions
occurring in an attempt to fix these problems.

If you do not have the new firmware, you may consider installing it.  If
you see gaps in your data, you can guess as to why.

William

PS:  We have found that if there are manual generator stops the power
quality is greatly reduced as compared to Mate initiated generator stops.
This is because if the Mate initiates the stop it transfers the power prior
to the generator slowing down.  This power quality problem can cause
problems with modems and routers.  We found that certain 12 volt routers
and 30 volt modems work just fine on 24 volts DC and are infinitely more
reliable.

Wm

[image: Gradient Cap_mini]
Lic 773985