[RE-wrenches] Solaredge Storedge

Kirk Herander kirk at vtsolar.com
Thu Jul 2 07:28:00 PDT 2015

The hype is deafening on this. I agree in the Storedge design there appears to be no way to separate out critical loads for operation during an outage, unless the homeowner manually turns off non-critical circuits. Not ideal.

As for the Powerwall itself(not part of the Storedge system), they say 10kwh od storage costs $3,500. Hypothetically, that might be good for 24hrs of critical load power, maybe. But not usually in Vermont(Green Mountain Power territory), where multi-day outages are not uncommon. So in my area you might need two of the Powerwalls and still need a battery-based inverter.

I haven’t read the article yet, but do have a copy. My question is what makes the Powerwall anything more than a wall-hung battery enclosure with lithium-ion batteries? Look at all the extras you need to make it work without(we hope) limitations. I am disappointed that GMP, my State’s largest utility, can paint such a rosy picture of an unproven product. The romance will quickly fade  when sticker-shock of the real expense of battery –back up is exposed. It could turn into a PR nightmare for GMP.

Kirk Herander

VT Solar, LLC

Proven PV provider since 1991

www.vermontsolarnow.com