[RE-wrenches] Off Grid Inverter Replacement Questions

Phil Undercuffler solarphil at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 13:57:55 PST 2015

Wrenches,

Allan’s key technical question is “when should I hesitate to replace a 120V
legacy inverter with a 120/240V unit?”  I’ve reviewed the various scenarios
and options with our engineers and tech support team, and the one “watch
out” issue that could potentially cause problems when replacing 120V legacy
inverters with 120/240V replacements, is how the existing inverter bypass
is configured.   This is something that will need to be addressed whether
the old system was 120V only or 120/240V with multiple 120V inverters.

With a 120/240V inverter, the bypass must operate both L1 and L2 poles
simultaneously.   A common practice in the early days of solar was to use a
double pole and single pole breaker combo with a special wiring arrangement
and a mechanical interlock to bypass both input and output for each
individual phase.  As you note these were typically installed in a SqD
QO403 3-pole load center, but I’ve also done a similar arrangement in other
enclosures which could fit QOU breakers.  This worked well enough back when
the Trace 120V inverter was the defacto industry standard, as the two
stacked inverters were really operating as two independent units, 180
degrees out of phase.  However, this type of bypass cannot and should not
be used with a 120/240V inverter.  If you find this type of bypass in the
old system, plan on replacing it with a modern equivalent as part of the
upgrade.

Other issues relating to upgrading the system would be constrained by site
conditions and customer choice – ie, does the current generator have
split-phase output capability, is there an L2 conductor already in the
ground (or room in the conduit) for both the input from the generator and
output to the house, does the customer want to run higher power loads in
the future, perhaps run any water pumps at 240 instead of 120 and reduce
the starting surges and potential flicker.  I can’t think of a situation
where a home wired for 120 can’t be fed with 120/240, although the reverse
is not always the case.

To answer the question regarding what is made where, the vast majority of
our products and inverter lines are manufactured in Bellingham, Washington
or in Suwanee Georgia (now Georgia might be a little foreign to some, but
last I looked it’s still part of the US-of-A).  Every Radian inverter, G
series inverter and Extreme charge controller is made here in Washington
State.  We do have an international manufacturing policy where it makes
strategic sense – solar is booming in the developing world, and some
regions have local content provisions or taxation barriers that require
in-country manufacturing so there are a couple inverter lines such as our
VFX3024E for the Rest of World market which are made in India along with
the FM60 and FM80 charge controllers.  However, isn’t that what we want, US
businesses succeeding in the global market and bringing that business
home?  We don’t have any manufacturing in China, nor is there any plan to
do so – however, I’m going to take a moment on a soapbox here related to
China and solar.  China’s citizens look to the West and want access to a
similar quality of life, and the more they burn dead dinos to get it the
more we are all screwed.  IMHO one of the best things that can happen for
survivability on this planet is for China to strongly embrace renewables.
Global solar market reports show massive deployment of PV throughout China
and Asia at all levels, and I’m OK with that.  Bring it on.

Ray, I’d like to work with you on internet discounters, it’s not our
intention to allow folks to undermine the market and devalue what reputable
installers such as yourself bring to the table.  However, I have to push
back on bashing our technical support team.   David, Katee, Jorge and the
rest of the team  work hard to provide trained and knowledgeable support
for all of our customers, not just the ones that belong to some kind of
loyalty club.  The people answering the phones here have experience on the
manufacturing line, service depot or education in Electrical Engineering,
we’re proud to have a couple Veterans on the crew, and everyone goes
through both our CTP and SEI training classes.  If a couple of hiring
notices in the past have caused you grief I apologize for that, but I
challenge you to give our team another chance.

Peace,

Phil

Philip Undercuffler

Director, Strategic Platforms
OutBack Power Technologies

17825 59th Ave NE, Suite B, Arlington, WA 98223

360.618.4306 office  |  425.319.2821 mobile

www.outbackpower.com