[RE-wrenches] Apollo (was TR Inverter Problems)

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Wed May 1 19:20:24 PDT 2013

At some point customers buying the Walmart 3C (thanks Bob'O) inverters
might be better off than those poor bastards that spent much more on a
TR or Apollo.   At least the cheapos either work or they don't.
(unfused alligator clip install anyone?)
Overall this trend bodes very badly for those of us in the off grid
business trying to fend off the army of bad installers and cheap chinese
crap to demonstrate that PV systems really can be reliable.  What's left?
There's Outback that seems to be slipping into corporate malaise or
Magnum, which is ok, but not as reliable as old Trace, and definitely
buggy in the generator charging department......
Exeltech, the Maserati of sine wave inverters with perfect waveform, but
expensive and rather limited in surge capability or battery
charging..... and did I Ever tell the story of changing out special
order 35 amp glass fuses (4 in parallel) with a surgeon's forceps in the
field......because the customer accidentally plugged in a coffee maker
into an inverter rated at 1100 watts?
I still have customers going 17 years on Trace SW4024s....  If someone
was still making those I'd be all over it.  Slap in a computer USB
interface, and call it modern.  They had adequate voltage regulation and
sinewave, good surge, a great charging interface,  and were reliable
enough to have built the entire PV industry up around.
I'd say if it were not for Trace back then, that we'd all be selling
vacuum cleaners now.  (and I'm not joking)

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,
Licensed Master Electrician