[RE-wrenches] Corrugated roofing mounts

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Mon Feb 18 09:26:47 PST 2013

I've got a project right now on a steel roof.  I was just at a trade
show last week, so I got to look at the latest gizmo from S5.
I didn't like it at all, it didn't go into the valleys like the old
mount, but drilled 4 holes into the side of the ridge, and just counted
on the roofing to hold the modules.
I wanted to use the new ZEP rack, but never heard back from them, I
guess my project is too small (4 Kw).
I'm going with SnapNRack blocks through the ridge top, and I'm going to
go through the purlins into rafters or 2x blocking as needed.

Also,  a related subject, I'm using the new HeadLok Lags from
FastenMaster.  They claim to be stronger than a 3/8" lag, but they have
a 3/16"D shaft.
I've had trouble with regular cheap Home Depot lags twisting off, so at
least these have actual strength ratings, and don't require predrilling.
They also have a no rust guarantee....
Has anybody else used these? (or the similar Timberlok)?

Thanks,

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified, Licensed Contractor