[RE-wrenches] Corrugated roofing mounts

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Mon Feb 18 08:25:15 PST 2013

Chris:

We have used the S5 corrugated product before and choose not to repeat the
experiment for these reasons:

1. Making roof perforations in any valley defies common sense.

2. The threaded mounting holes stripped very easily.

3. I have determined that most common wavelength of corrugated roofing we
have encountered is 2.67".  If you don't have purlins, this is not a
problem since a rafter is 1.5" wide.  Worse case scenario, if a rafter is
not under the peak of the corrugation you scab a piece of 2X8 next to the
rafter and achieve a mounting member to fasten to.  This is much easier
than adding blocking to create purlins.  This only  works if you are
installing a fastener through the peak of the corrugation.  With the S5
product you have to find framing under two locations, not one.

William Miller