[RE-wrenches] DC to AC derate

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Thu Jan 5 13:33:40 PST 2012

I have a related question to this. Does setting up a pair of Outback
GVFXs with the balancing transformer and allowing one inverter to go to
sleep at lower AC output improve efficiency?  It seems we would be
reducing electronic loads, but adding transformer losses.   Any
comments? I have a recently commissioned double Outback system with 200
AH @48v battery bank.  He's reporting efficiency at 77% DC in to AC
out.  I'd love to improve that, as his aging array of Sharp modules
seems to be under performing as well, (4.08 KW STC rated,  3 Kw actual
out)  I haven't gone back and done testing with my insolation meter, so
I'm not sure exactly what is happening, but his overall efficiency (STC
rated to AC out) is only 56% .

Ray