[RE-wrenches] DC to AC derate

Maverick Brown [Maverick Solar] maverick at mavericksolar.com
Wed Jan 4 18:55:17 PST 2012

Please use the 90% of the CEC or PTC rating of the PV module at most.

Among several systems that I monitor daily, I have an example 11.760kw (STC)
system that has a 500Ah battery bank and it peaks at 77-80% of the STC
rating each day.

Peak is defined as the top of  the bell curve that forms from the graphing
watts output versus nameplate watts.

If I use the CEC rating (10.54kw), it peaks at 86-90% of the CEC rating each
day.

If I go to the CEC list and copy & paste into a spreadsheet and enter the
values for the STC versus PTC, I might  find I would loose 10% (or more) in
the PV rating.

http://www.gosolarcalifornia.org/equipment/pv_modules.php (go ahead, find
your modules and divide PTC by Nameplate).

I also have a grid-interactive system that has a very large battery bank
(2600Ah @ 48V, with 9kw STC Array) and it only has a peak efficiency rating
of 69% because of the load of the batteries. The larger the battery bank,
the happier customers are for outage situations, but the larger the battery
bank, the more current goes into "Floating" the batteries during selling.
For that system, I may lower "Grid Support/SellRE" and use Auto EQ to keep
the batteries fresh...

Anyway, keep in mind that you cannot simply assume:

12kw Array x 6 hours of sun =  72kwh of generation each day. The brand of
PV, the size of the battery bank and even the charge controller's Absorb &
Float settings can greatly reduce what the inverter thinks it can sell. With
multiple inverters and charge controllers it gets even more complicated
(worse).

Good luck,

Maverick

  _____