[RE-wrenches] DC to AC derate

boB at midnitesolar.com boB at midnitesolar.com
Wed Jan 4 15:13:49 PST 2012

On 1/4/2012 3:01 PM, All Solar, Inc. wrote:
> Wrenches,
> Once again I am trying to size a grid tie w/battery system and I
> struggle a little with the efficiencies of them.
> With PV Watts (v.1), is changing the DC to AC derate an accurate
> method for getting the output?
> Thanks in advance!
> Jeremy

If you keep the batteries charged  to a voltage just above their resting
voltage,
say, 52 volts for a 48V system, and the battery bank isn't too large,
(~225 A-hours,
maybe a bit more), about 90%  PV to grid AC efficiency is in the ball park.

That's what we figured in the early days of GFX inverters at OB.  That's
giving
5% for the electronics and 5% for keeping up the batteries.
Different and/or more accurate information may have come along since
that time.

boB