[RE-wrenches] Help me understand Gen vs XW

Ken Schaal Ken at commonwealthsolar.com
Fri Sep 9 04:26:21 PDT 2011

I am having similar issues, but with an older system with an 8.5RMY Kohler. However we replaced a control board on it several months ago. As this system goes back to Y2K, starting with a Trace Power Panel, and converting to the XW when they were first available, it had always connected to the Gen. with no issues. But recently, we've been getting fault codes when it exercised, which we thought were related to starting battery issues. Then, after lighting storms, the XW no longer accepted AC1, grid power, so we replaced the control board, which fixed AC1 . But in verifying system operation, we noticed that AC2 - Gen.- would not actually transfer and charge if started manually at the system control panel thru the AGS, nor would it exercise properly, as the generator shuts off after a minute or two, never having actually connected to the XW. Voltage at AC2 is 120 each leg. We have talked with every tech support at Schneider------------

Yesterday we did the firmware upgrade, which means for this older system, that the AGS senses the 'generator on' with out a separate sense wire, like was originally needed. But we are getting the same failure to connect and charge. We do get a sound like it is trying to connect, but only momentarily. We still have the same generator shutdown after a minute or two. The fault code on the SCP, says the generator turned off    at the generator .
Now, since we just went thru the east coast hurricane, grid was down for this customer for 7 days. so when the generator is started    at the generator, manual start switch  the XW accepts the AC2 power perfectly, starting to charge within seconds, and going thru the regular bulk charge cycles properly I believe. So noise from the Kohler, at least this one, seems unlikely.

Next week, we'll be back there after discussing this with Kohler tech support.

Anyone else have something to add ?

Thanks for your collective wisdom
Ken Schaal
CommonWealth Solar