[RE-wrenches] Help me understand Gen vs XW

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Thu Sep 8 21:40:19 PDT 2011

Friends:

Working yesterday on a newer XW system with a new Kohler RES15
generator.  This is the first time I have tested the inverter with this
generator.  The inverter would not maintain a transfer to the
generator.  After about an hour on the phone with tech support, the tech
searched previous calls and announced that there is a known incompatibility
between the Kohler RES15 and a certain version of the XW firmware.  I was
advised to upgrade the firmware.

I wonder how this can be.  Voltage and frequency even in the moment the
inverter did try to connect are well within specifications. After some
thought, all I can guess is that there might be some noise on the AC signal
that the inverter might reject.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Any insight to be offered?

Thanks in advance.

William Miller

William Miller
Miller Solar