[RE-wrenches] Incompatible Metals

SOLARPRO at aol.com SOLARPRO at aol.com
Fri Jan 14 10:53:15 PST 2011

Peter:

In my experience and understanding of the relative electro-negativity or
electrode potential of these two metals, there is not an issue for the copper
to  erode to the point of ground failure - the aluminum goes first.  In a
marine environment, especially salt water areas, all metals  eventually
dissolve, much more quickly when there is galvanic action due to  dissimilar
metals. Copper is considered more "noble" than aluminum (this is  an archaic
chemical reference) and will erode the aluminum, eventually  causing a break
in the surface interaction, and the galvanic action slows  or stops..

Patrick A.  Redgate
Ameco Solar, Inc.
7623 Somerset Blvd,
Paramount, CA 90723
_www.solarexpert.com_ (http://www.solarexpert.com/)
_www.amecosolar.com_ (http://www.amecosolar.com/)
562-633-4400

In a message dated 1/14/2011 10:14:16 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,