[RE-wrenches] Incompatible Metals

benn kilburn benn at daystarsolar.ca
Fri Jan 14 11:42:46 PST 2011

Peter,i've been having the same concern running thru my head recently, as i've done this myself, and have compensated by now using a green jacketed bond (ground) wire for rail and module bonding.  (fyi-bonding is the CEC term for inter-connecting all metallic parts of an electrical system, i.e. frames, rails)I just strip the jacket at the lugs and use nolox on all connections.
I have not yet seen any issues with corrosion when bare copper has been supported against aluminum (frames or rails), but i am watching for it.
I am also curious if anyone else has encountered this.... and,-to what extent  (i've seen mod frame/lug 'reduced to white powder' photos, but what about rail damage?-age of install when corrosion was first noticed
Question(s):  What triggers galvanic corrosion to take place?  ...is it unavoidable if there are dissimilar metals in contact?Does there need to be current leaking thru the dissimilar metals (connection points) for the reaction to start?
benn

DayStar Renewable Energy Inc. benn at daystarsolar.ca780-906-7807 HAVE A SUNNY DAY