[RE-wrenches] UL PV certification?

boB Gudgel boB at midnitesolar.com
Thu Jul 21 12:11:51 PDT 2011

This is an interesting observation regarding this that we heard about.....
boB

We have a friend from Washington State that also took the UL class. The
instructor was not a UL employee, but rather a professional installer
from Florida. His class was ok, but nothing in depth for anyone that
already has hands on knowledge of installing PV systems. There was one
very troubling aspect of their training. They had the inverters and
disconnect switches and all the associated components of a PV system on
the wall with one exception. When it came to the combiner, it was clear
that the combiner had been removed from the wall. Written in pencil was
the word “PV combiner”. When asked, the instructor had to admit that UL
forced him to remove the MidNite solar combiner because it was ETL
listed, not UL! Almost all the combiners are ETL listed. I personally do
not think UL is doing anybody a good service by only discussing UL
listed components. Stick with the experts in training. You all know who
they are.

Robin Gudgel

Midnite Solar