[RE-wrenches] Mounting L feet on corrugated metal roof.

Ken Schaal ken at commonwealthsolar.com
Fri Nov 26 06:34:04 PST 2010

Hi John

When you say ' corrugated ---with flat spans  and ribs-- do you mean what is generally called Grand Rib around here in Va. 8" flat panel with a low 1" wide area in the middle of the flat panel, then a rib 1"+ high, held on to the roof sheathing with hex head screws and sealing washers?

If so, we just did a job like that and used ' Peel and Stick ' membrane cut to make pads under the L feet, predrilled for the 5/16" x 3" lags into as many truss top chords or rafters we could hit--the ribs sometimes intervene, in which case we use 3/8 2" lags-- with a healthy dollup of black silicone in the hole and under the L feet. When the silicone squeezes out from under the foot, I always smooth it out with a finger, especially on the uphill side to better shed water and avoid an area where freeze- thaw can degrade the bond to the roof. Be sure the metal in clean before application. The silicone should squeeze out of the hole as the lag goes in, and any silicone on your finger is applied to the head of the lag, but that is more a place to get rid of it than a permanent water barrier.

If it's true sinusoidal corrogated about 5 years ago we mounted a thermal panel by making custom feet that spanned two peaks with a EPDM rubber gasket under the foot where the  screws penetrated, one into each peak. Hard to hit rafters, so decking type , thickness, decking fasterner type and schedule, metal thickness, and L foot screw diameter are all important factors, dependent on your wind and snow loads.

How will you handle the expansion /contraction issue ?

I've used this general method for 30 years, starting with thermal panels.
There will probably be other suggestions as well. More than one way, so long as compounds are compatible.

Ken @ CommonWealth Solar