[RE-wrenches] Solar Installers Education

R. Walters walters at taosnet.com
Sun Jul 19 14:39:54 PDT 2009

HI Peter;

First I agree with almost everything you said. However, I think you
took Joel's DIY comment out of context. What he and I are saying, is
that we both have customers that are more knowledgeable than many of
the "Professional" installers/ designers/ sales people we are seeing
in today's market. I was recently at a solar meeting where 25 out of
the 30 people in the room had been in the business for less than a
year. These guys are running around today doing site evaluations,
design quotes on the spot, etc. Very scary.
Neither Joel nor I are saying DIY guys are qualified, but we are
saying we know a few that are closer than these rooms full of
newbies. Professional should mean "dedicated one's career to this
field" but right now, "professional" just means working for money.
Also once someone has some minimum qualifications to actually start
working in this field on their own (ie, licensed electrician with
extensive solar training), shouldn't their first solo job be on their
own house, not someone else's?
Almost everyone on this list went into solar because we knew it was
the right thing to do, but that paradigm is changing very fast to
"this is the next way to make a fast buck". I'm very discouraged that
we can't do more to change that. As Marco mentioned: it’s inevitable
that a serious fire, injury, or death due to incompetence is gonna
whack us all over the head soon.

It will hurt our industry, but then maybe we can get back on the
track of true professionalism that this list and all of you represent.

R. Walters
Solarray.com
NABCEP # 04170442