[RE-wrenches] Outback VFX input voltage cycling

Christopher Freitas cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Mon Dec 29 10:41:06 PST 2008

Ron -

Tech support is open today and should be able to help you troubleshoot
this in a step-by-step process that will discover the root problem.

I am a bit confused by the descriptions of the events and have the
following questions and comments:

When you tested just the inverter without the generator running - you
stated that there was a noticeable flicker every 20 seconds - did you
also notice that the yellow "AC INPUT" light would blink and then turn
solid momentarily?  This usually indicates that there is a cross
connection of the inverter's AC output with the AC input wiring - which
can be caused by many different problems (nicked or chewed wires, water
filled junction box or conduits, miswiring of a 240VAC load, etc. - or
an internal problem with the inverter).  In a nutshell - the inverter is
"seeing" its own AC output at its AC input - so it connects and then
tries to charge from itself - which causes the AC output voltage to
decrease - and then it drops the AC source for another 20 seconds - over
and over...

When the generator was connected to the inverter - was the varying AC
input voltage viewed on a digital test meter or on the MATE's display?
The voltage display on the MATE will vary until the inverter has
actually connected to the generator since the inverter is not locked
onto the frequency of the generator.  The fluctuation of the AC voltage
on the MATE is more pronounced if the frequency of the generator is way
off from the 60hz nominal.  Check the voltage and the frequency at the
inverter's AC input terminals with a good quality true-RMS meter with
the generator running but not connected.

Is this a 120/240VAC "split phase" generator operating with only one
inverter on it?  It is possible that an internal connection in the
generators windings has fried due to overloading one output leg of the
generator - its similar to a bad solder joint where the voltage is OK
until current is pulled and then it opens up.  You might try putting the
inverter on the other leg to see if you see the same issue.

I agree with the multiple problem theory that was suggested - it sounds
like the generator is having a problem maintaining good voltage (or more
likely a high enough frequency probably) and then there is some type of
voltage feedback occurring when the generator is not connected.   Be
sure to check the frequency of the generator when seeing issues like
this - its often the problem.

Let us know if you need more assistance

Christopher

Christopher Freitas