[RE-wrenches] Battery Question

Phil Undercuffler P.Undercuffler at conergy.us
Tue Aug 5 11:55:40 PDT 2008

Surrette has a technical bulletin on activating a dry-charged battery
available at http://www.surrette.com/?q=node/46
<http://www.surrette.com/?q=node/46>

It states:

Shelf life of a dry charge battery is five years plus. Store in a cool
dry area. The positive plate has an unlimited shelf life. The negative
plate will revert to lead oxide when in the presence of water and
oxygen. If this should happen, the battery is not ruined, but activation
will take considerably longer!

So, basically unlimited shelf life on dry charged batteries, keep them
cool & dry, but if moisture gets into the cell activation will take a
lot longer. Hope that helps.

Phil Undercuffler

Director, Battery-based and Off-grid

Conergy Sales & Systems, Americas