[RE-wrenches] Reroofing grandfathering

Jason Szumlanski jason at floridasolardesigngroup.com
Thu Mar 21 04:28:10 PDT 2024

Each state and jurisdiction could be different. Some didn't even want a
permit around here after Hurricane Irna in 2017. After Hurricane Ian in
2022, virtually all did.

As someone who has removed and reinstalled MANY systems to allow for
hurricane damaged roof replacements, my approach has always been that the
permit application was simply a structural application for the remounting
of the solar panels. I indicated that the PV source conductors (or inverter
output conductors in the case of microinverters) would simply be
reconnected in a roof mounted junction box. This never rose to the level of
requiring updating electrical wiring to current codes with respect to rapid
shutdown or otherwise. We always made sure labels were legible and did any
minor electrical cleanup, but I would not even provide a detailed
electrical plan with our applications.

Jason Szumlanski
Principal Solar Designer | Florida Solar Design Group
NABCEP Certified Solar Professional (PVIP)
Florida State Certified Solar Contractor CVC56956
Florida Certified Electrical Contractor EC13013208

On Wed, Mar 20, 2024 at 9:35 PM Howie Michaelson via RE-wrenches <