[RE-wrenches] Reroofing grandfathering

Howie Michaelson Howie.Michaelson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 18:34:08 PDT 2024

Hi all,
I have a potential job reinstalling an 11 year old 4.4kW roof mounted net
metered array, feeding a PVI 4kW inverter.   The array was pulled down by a
reputable company last fall, with the intention of remounting it after the
asphalt shingle roof was reroofed. From a distance, it appears that it was
carefully removed and all parts and pieces were saved.  Unfortunately the
company's principle died in the interim and the company folded. I'm trying
to determine if this scenario is grandfathered code wise, since it predates
RSD. If not, I'm not sure it is worth retrofitting it with add on Tigo or
APSMART equipment as opposed to replacing the whole system. In any case,
before we explore the options, I'm trying to determine if putting it back
up without RSD is (1) code compliant and (2) reasonable.
Thanks for any insight,
Howie Michaelson
Sun Catcher