[RE-wrenches] SMA 22 series inverters, resetting AFCI fault

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Tue Mar 19 12:08:37 PDT 2024

Friends:

I learned something yesterday about the SMA 22 series string inverters:  I
have a client that experienced an arc-fault shutdown.  I tried to reset the
error condition by following the procedure in the manual.  This involves
shutting down the inverter and then knocking on the front panel during
re-start when directed.  I had no luck.

Techs support said to knock harder.  I knocked so hard my knuckle started
bleeding.  Tech support said: sometimes these inverters get “stuck” and you
need to connect with a speedwire device to unstick them.

The speedwire is no longer made but I did find one to purchase for a little
over $200.  I have the same inverter at home so I practiced hooking the
device up to my inverter.  I had some problems so I called tech support and
spoke to a different person. He said I don’t need a speedwire, I just need
to knock harder with the back of a screwdriver in the correct spot.

I went the location with the failure and using a screwdriver tapping
vigorously just to the left of the display I got the unit to reset.

I am keeping the speedwire because I am paranoid I might need one in the
future and not be able to procure one.  If anyone wants to borrow the
thing, let me know.

William

Miller Solar

17395 Oak Road, Atascadero, CA 93422