[RE-wrenches] Lithium batteries

Chris Schaefer chris at solarandwindfx.com
Thu Feb 8 06:41:07 PST 2024

Ray,

Oddly enough we're getting ready to replace our 22 year old 48v bank of
Rolls Surrette batteries at our offgrid Design and Training Center in
Western NY with a set of Lithium batteries.The reason for the jump to
Lithium is because of the numerous request by clients for them over the
past 5 year or so. By having them here onsite, this will give us a window
into how they truly operate over time.

Three questions I always ask manufacturers are, can the BMS firmware be
upgraded in the field and/or can the BMS be swapped out in the field? Also
is an internet connection required in order to receive warranty? FYI, Rolls
lithium product is field swappable and does not require an internet
connection. It seems every time we get close to making a choice on which
lithium manufacturer to use something seems to steer us away.

I couldn't agree more with Ray's statement. "but lead acid are a known
quantity, and with proper maintenance are quite robust and predictable.
Even when they fail, there are plenty of warning signs beforehand." Perhaps
what the lithium manufacturers need to do is provide us installers with a
"tool" that gives us a window into the BMS perhaps via a laptop. Maybe it
already exists.

A couple of years back we backed out of a couple of projects due to the
fact the clients insisted on a lithium battery. I declined the projects as
the temperature environment was wrong amongst other reasons too. I followed
up with both projects a year later and both projects failed miserably and
as Ray called it, the inverter manufacturer pointed the finger to the
battery manufacturer and vice versa.

Keep up the great work everyone and don't forget to donate to the wrenches
list.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Solar Guy,
Christopher

On Thu, Feb 8, 2024 at 8:46 AM Jay via RE-wrenches <

--

Chris Schaefer’s

*Tel 585-229-2083 or Cell 585-748-1870 *
*5115 S Hill Road ~ Canandaigua New York 14424**www.solarandwindfx.com
<http://www.solarandwindfx.com> ~ E-mail: chris at solarandwindfx.com
<chris at solarandwindfx.com>*

Thomas Jefferson, the author of our great Constitution, once said,
"democracy" will cease to exist when you take away from those who are
willing to work and give to those who would not."