[RE-wrenches] Integrating Fortress E-vault maxes into an SI AC-coupled system

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Sun Nov 12 16:27:22 PST 2023

Kirk:

There are a lot of misconceptions about AC Coupling in the industry.  I
think you may have fallen victim to one:

When you are feeding AC power backwards through a battery inverter, that
inverter cannot exert any control over the charging parameters.  You can
set bulk, absorption, float, EQ, any charge setting you can find, but if
your power source is AC-coupled (coming in through the out door), those
settings do not affect the charging at all.

Someone please slap me if I am wrong on this.

Those settings do apply if you have an AC source like a generator or grid
that is connected to an AC *input*.   We cannot connect grid-tied inverters
to any input because AC inputs do not create a mini-grid.

Furthermore, if you set a Sunny Island for battery type “Ext BMS”, you
cannot adjust those settings.  Pressing the buttons elicits wonky
reduce settings but they will not be saved.  I have seen this and while
Fortress cannot replicate this in the lab, they have heard this reported.
(This Ext-BMS setting is only available with the latest firmware and by
initiating New battery or New system in the quick programming function.)

Until this moment I did not realize that this is another reason Closed loop
on a

Sunny Island is a non-starter:  If you can’t set charge parameters for
generator or grid battery charging then you have a system that cannot be
set to charge batteries from AC sources with precision.  If closed loop
does not work for this reason, and open loop does not track the critical
SOC values, then we may be out of options.  Maybe this is why SMA will not
talk to anyone with lithium batteries.

Hmmmmm…

William

Miller Solar