[RE-wrenches] Integrating Fortress E-vault maxes into an SI AC-coupled system

Kirk Bailey kirk at abundantsolar.com
Sun Nov 12 17:31:55 PST 2023

William,

     I agree that AC coupled input power can't be "directly" regulated by
the battery inverter, but it *can* be indirectly regulated using techniques
such as telling the downstream PV inverter(s) to back off via a
frequency-watt change, or turning on a diversion load, or worst case simply
shutting off the battery inverter AC output connected to the PV inverters
(so-called bang-bang control).  However, I thought the battery charging
parameters were part of the equation when the inverter is making the
decision about what to do if the batteries are nearly full?

    And in my case, with the SI master set to EXT-BMS (most recent
firmware), the battery parameters *could* be set and appeared to make a
difference in operation.  My (possibly incorrect!), assumption was that the
closed loop communication was primarily for SOC and fault conditions.  If
there is any documentation for what the closed loop communication consists
of that would be really interesting!

Cheers,

Kirk Bailey
kirk at abundantsolar.com