[RE-wrenches] 2007 Kohler: Wrenches, can you help with parts or smarts?

Mick Abraham mick at abrahamsolar.com
Mon Oct 23 10:05:59 PDT 2023

Me again, Mechanix~ 'Tis the season...for generator problems. Here's mine:

Kohler model # 8.5RES air cooled propane
Serial number 2159521
Spec number GM29253-GA6

This machine has delivered many off-grid running hours; I suspect a
lightning whack took it down. The main DC battery breaker inexplicably
tripped the same day; inverter etc. are all OK.

How many hours? "A Lot." I can't be more specific b/c the electronic box
with the display is black. The 12v cranking battery seems to have adequate
energy but the black box is truly "blacked out" & doesn't respond to the
red Run button. Three glass fuses near the ADC2100 control box all have
continuity.

[image: ADC2100 control.PNG]
The physical space in the power shed accommodates this machine housing but
I doubt if any new machine would fit as well.
That "ADC2100" control box in my photo shows several different p/n's on
eBay & I haven't done much more sleuthing. I have only a fuzzy
picture of ours, but squinting at the p/n, ours might be GM28707. Are they
all interchangeable?

The ideal case would be if one of the Wrenches has a "known good" control
box even if it's used or dusty. Clients might be sad
if I persuade them to spend $1k or more for an eBay part then we put it all
together only to find the machine still won't run.
Contact me off-list if you have a part or parts to sell, or a "value added"
parts vendor to suggest. We're in southern Colorado.

If something else may have also been damaged, can I get suggestions as to
the likely culprits? Finally, how far should we go if the clients
really want a new lease on life for this machine? Are there shops that
could do an engine overhaul? Assuming that the generator
windings are OK, are there bearing replacements or other TLC items to
address if we haul it to a shop?

I'm aware that the 2023 stationary propane machines may not have the "slam
it out" longevity that the clients have enjoyed with this one.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions. The Wrench List is the Bomb!

Mick Abraham, Proprietor
www.abrahamsolar.com

Landline: 970-731-4675
Cell phone or for text messaging: 970-946-6584
ᐧ