[RE-wrenches] Need a hand with Sunny Island/Sunny boy AC couple

Mac Lewis maclewis1 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 05:13:35 PDT 2023

Hi William,

I think you will find that the state of charge discrepancy will be a
continual problem to contend with in voltage mode.  The state of charge
algorithm that the SI uses (and bases all decisions) is complex and not
very Lithium compatible when at the ends of the state of charge spectrum
(full, empty).  The Sunny Island will continually interpret the SOC much
too high when the eVaults are low because there isn't much voltage drop
across most of the battery capacity.

Do you have RS485 communication going to the Sunnyboys?  You will also need
to set your Sunnyboys off-grid.

I would probably try to get a battery voltage based relay installed that
opens the AC connection to the sunnyboys at 56V or so.

I would also call Fortress to see how well the SunnyIsland to BMS
communications works.  Even if SMA won't support it, Fortress may have some
honest field experience by now and be able to advise.  If the communication
stops flowing, the SunnyIsland will register an external BMS fault and shut
off which seems lower risk than having the bus voltage spike to 69V

Let us know what you learn on this one.

On Sun, Oct 22, 2023 at 5:30 AM Chris Sparadeo via RE-wrenches <

--

Mac Lewis

*"Yo solo sé que no sé nada." -Sócrates*