[RE-wrenches] 2007 Kohler: Wrenches, can you help with parts or smarts?

Dave Angelini Offgrid Solar offgridsolar at sti.net
Mon Oct 23 11:58:44 PDT 2023

In the dead of winter a client paid over 2K$ for the PCB. He now has
surge protection on the lines from gen out to the XW. I did not say to
him I told you so, but I am saying here.

Pop a midnite spd on gensets that stay connected all year. If it was
nearby lightning, he was lucky it did not jump the transfer relay into
the inverter electronics!

Dave Angelini Offgrid Solar
"we go where powerlines don't"
    [2]https://offgridsolar1.com/ [3]  [2]
e-mail  offgridsolar at sti.net
text 209 813 0060

On 2023-10-23 10:05 am, Mick Abraham via RE-wrenches wrote:

> Me again, Mechanix~ 'Tis the season...for generator problems. Here's
> mine:
>
> Kohler model # 8.5RES air cooled propane
> Serial number 2159521
> Spec number GM29253-GA6
>
> This machine has delivered many off-grid running hours; I suspect a
> lightning whack took it down. The main DC battery breaker inexplicably
> tripped the same day; inverter etc. are all OK.
>
> How many hours? "A Lot." I can't be more specific b/c the electronic
> box with the display is black. The 12v cranking battery seems to have
> adequate energy but the black box is truly "blacked out" & doesn't
> respond to the red Run button. Three glass fuses near the ADC2100
> control box all have continuity.
>
> The physical space in the power shed accommodates this machine housing
> but I doubt if any new machine would fit as well.
> That "ADC2100" control box in my photo shows several different p/n's on
> eBay & I haven't done much more sleuthing. I have only a fuzzy
> picture of ours, but squinting at the p/n, ours might be GM28707. Are
> they all interchangeable?
>
> The ideal case would be if one of the Wrenches has a "known good"
> control box even if it's used or dusty. Clients might be sad
> if I persuade them to spend $1k or more for an eBay part then we put it
> all together only to find the machine still won't run.
> Contact me off-list if you have a part or parts to sell, or a "value
> added" parts vendor to suggest. We're in southern Colorado.
>
> If something else may have also been damaged, can I get suggestions as
> to the likely culprits? Finally, how far should we go if the clients
> really want a new lease on life for this machine? Are there shops that
> could do an engine overhaul? Assuming that the generator
> windings are OK, are there bearing replacements or other TLC items to
> address if we haul it to a shop?
>
> I'm aware that the 2023 stationary propane machines may not have the
> "slam it out" longevity that the clients have enjoyed with this one.
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions. The Wrench List is the Bomb!
>
> Mick Abraham, Proprietor
> www.abrahamsolar.com [1]
>
> Landline: 970-731-4675
> Cell phone or for text messaging: 970-946-6584

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

> There are two list archives for searching. When one doesn't work, try
> the other:
>
> List rules & etiquette:
>
> Check out or update participant bios:
> http://www.members.re-wrenches.org