[RE-wrenches] DC Disconnect for first responders

Brian Mehalic brian at solarenergy.org
Mon Feb 20 11:03:56 PST 2023

480.7 is Disconnect Methods, and addresses different scenarios and voltages
(A) is for batteries "with a voltage over 60 volts dc" requiring a
disconnect accessible to and within sight of the battery
(B) is in regards to 1- and 2-family dwellings, and doesn't specify a
voltage, just that an external, emergency disconnect is required
(C) is segmenting strings into 240 Vdc nominal or less segments, and on it
goes to (G)

I don't agree with the earlier statement in this chain (and I didn't dig up
the original thread to see it in context) - based on how the Section is
arranged; if the 60 volt requirement applied to both (A) and (B) then they
would most likely be (A)(1) and (A)(2), under an (A) heading that included
a statement to the effect of "For stationary storage batteries of 60 volts
blah blah the following shall apply."

As it is now, the emergency disconnect requirement (B) doesn't specify a
voltage above which it applies, and the voltage specification in (A)
doesn't apply to (B).

Cheers,

Brian Mehalic
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installation Professional™ R031508-59
National Electrical Code® CMP-4 Member
(520) 204-6639

Solar Energy International
http://www.solarenergy.org

On Mon, Feb 20, 2023 at 11:40 AM James Jarvis via RE-wrenches <