[RE-wrenches] BACKUP system revival

Darryl Thayer darylsolar1 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 13:31:23 PST 2022

Hello and happy holidays.  About 10 years ago, I had a similar problem with
a similar customer who wanted a similar problem solved.  The Generac auto
transfer switch needed a 12 volt source.  When the grid went down the
generac transfer switch disconnected and waited about 10 to 15 seconds then
started the generator.  The customer wanted shorter outage transfer time. I
used the inverter driving a dedicated load panel picking up the priority
loads.  When the generator started it would, then after 3 minutes, the
inverter would drop out letting the generator carry all loads, and
the inverter would go back to battery charging.  (note: 8 kW for 15 to 20
minutes is only 2.7 kWh, but the battery system has to be fast,  a LiFe at
C/2 requires 16 kWh/ 300 AH@ 48V and a LA at C/6 requires 48 kWh or 1000
AH)  This job also had solar, and it was DC coupled using a charge
controller.  It has been working for  years, but has never had a major
outage.  The generator better be a good clean signal.  also the grid outage
has to be longer than 10 to 15 seconds for the generator to take over, and
the customer wants if the generator on propane runs out of fuel to go to
solar in my case.  Many years ago I had an off grid customer with a 200 amp
service I supplied using two Outback FX and an auto transformer. It
worked for years.  Good luck.

On Sat, Dec 17, 2022 at 10:28 AM Dana Orzel via RE-wrenches <