[RE-wrenches] BACKUP system revival

Dave Angelini Offgrid Solar offgridsolar at sti.net
Sat Dec 17 10:43:51 PST 2022

Cheers to all !  I had this problem for years but my Canadian friends
finally listened to me/others and built a smart 200A panel for my
clients.
  Not going to help your situation Dana but an FYI.
When paired with Schneider Electric XW Pro inverters [3], the Backup
Control Switch (BCS) automatically disconnects from the grid during an
outage,
  allowing the system to provide backup power to the home.

Certified to UL standards for USA, the Backup Control Switch is used for
larger XW Pro systems requiring up to 200 A rated MID or service
entrance installation.

Part number: 865-BCS-2200

Dave Angelini Offgrid Solar
"we go where powerlines don't"
http://members.sti.net/offgridsolar/
e-mail  offgridsolar at sti.net
text 209 813 0060

On 2022-12-17 8:28 am, Dana Orzel via RE-wrenches wrote:

> Hey All a Cheery Season to you all!
>
> I inherited a backup system that had "failed". It was unwired, & poorly
> labeled.
>
> 1200 AHR AGM Battery - 1 Radian 8KW inverter - 200 amp Generac transfer
> switch - No solar - Feeding a 200 amp house panel.
>
> First I explained the there were too many loads for an 8KW inverter. It
> could & may overload the 8KW inverter. They said "it had worked fine
> for 5 years & they were OK with it as is please get it back up"…
>
> Replaced the existing Eaton transfer switch as the Generac controller
> was shot, with a Generac 200 amp Xfer switch complete with controller &
> transfer switch.
>
> Rewired & had to recharge the 48 volt battery from 20volt back up to
> full with a pair of IOTA chargers in series.
>
> The original trigger was 3 wires from the Radian to the 12 volt & AUX
> output to the input on the Generac controller. These were disconnected
> on the Generac end. So no clue or labeling there.
>
> I called Outback & they called it Redneck engineering & send me a few
> articles to read.
>
> Has anyone configured a backup in this manner?
>
> All suggestions appreciated, thanks & wishing you all a safe & sane
> season!
>
> Dana Orzel                              Great Solar Works, Inc.
>
> C - 208.721.7003                       dana at solarwork.com
>
> Idaho Contractor - # 028765         Idaho PV # 028374
>
> www.greatsolarworks.com [1]            www.solarwor.com [2]
>
> "Responsible Technologies for Responsible People since 1988"
>
> P Please consider the environment before printing this email.

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

> There are two list archives for searching. When one doesn't work, try
> the other:
>
> List rules & etiquette:
>
> Check out or update participant bios:
> http://www.members.re-wrenches.org