[RE-wrenches] Magnum MS4024 grief

Sindelar Solar Allan at sindelarsolar.com
Fri Dec 16 12:15:43 PST 2022

Chris,
I also found Kirk's response to capture what I would've checked first.
Ray is correct about multiple neutral-ground bonds, but there's a point
that I think has been missed. You didn't identify the generator, and I'm
going to assume that it's a portable gasoline unit. They have GFCIs on
the AC output because they're almost never connected to a solid ground,
and that's the safest they can make the output - they internally bond
neutral to the chassis of the gennie and run the output through a GFCI.
When they're connected to an off grid home there's always going to be a
ground loop in a correctly wired installation, because the Powercenter
is the first point of disconnect and is thus where the overall system
neutral-ground bond should be made.

In my experience there is no fully Code-compliant solution to this. At
least, I never came up with one, and many years ago neither could John
Wiles when I discussed it with him. You don't want to disconnect the
bond in the E-Panel because if the gennie is the only bond point and
it's disconnected (by unplugging it) your system ground becomes
unbonded. Stationary generators generally separate the bond, or at least
allow it to be separated (small Kohler units always allowed this),
because of this very issue - for prime power (non-solar) applications
the bond is made at the source, but where it's a secondary source it
needs to be separated. Portable generators don't give this option.

The best solution John and I came up with is to treat the gennie as a
separately derived system: ground it to its own rod; put it far enough
from the home that you can't touch it and anything grounded in the home
at the same time; bond normally in the E-Panel; and eliminate or
disconnect and tie off the bonding conductor between the gennie and the
PV system. Only by treating it as a separately derived system can you
get around the requirement that all service equipment must be bonded.

And if the gennie has a separable neutral-ground bond that's been
opened, I have no idea how to solve your issue... 😉
Allan
--
*Allan Sindelar*
allan at sindelarsolar.com <mailto:allan at sindelarsolar.com>