[RE-wrenches] AC Coupling Standard?

Eric Smiley eric at vecoop.ca
Fri Dec 2 08:25:45 PST 2022

Utilities have used and continue to use this method of control for their
own generators, except they refer to it as Droop Control. In addition to
Frequency/Watt response Voltage/VAR response is also used.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Droop_speed_control

Building inverters that mimic the behaviour of spinning generators is a
great development as some jurisdictions now require, for example,
ride-through capability when brown-outs occur, rather than the older
requirement for inverters to simply turn off when voltage or frequency
dropped below certain limits, which just exacerbated brown-outs.
Essentially an inverter can be programmed to have "inertia" just like a big
spinning generator.
Larger grid-interactive inverters have done this for a while, with very
complex settings, but we are now seeing smaller residential and
commercial inverters with similar capabilities.
This industry keeps evolving and improving, which is great for keeping us
on our toes and I find it very exciting.

*Eric Smiley,* Project Manager
eric at vecoop.ca
T: 250.703.6004 <+12507036004>
T: 888.386.0116 <+18883860116>
*VIRIDIANENERGY.CA <https://viridianenergy.ca/>*

* <https://viridianenergy.ca/>*

On Fri, 2 Dec 2022 at 07:08, Windy Dankoff via RE-wrenches <