[RE-wrenches] "Qualified solar electric property"? RE: battery storage limitations

Kirk Herander kirkh at vermont.solar
Sat Oct 29 10:08:12 PDT 2022

Hello Howie -
Unrelated to tax code,
You had a question on Jerry's response referencing battery storage
limitations.

NFPA 855 (referenced in the 2021 NFPA 1 Fire safety rules), does put rules
/ limits on residential storage kwh size and layouts, amongst other things.
An 80kwh storage limit is mentioned here.
check out this link:

https://www.mayfield.energy/blog/fire-codes-and-nfpa-855-for-energy-storage-systems

This blog gives a good summary and history of both NFPA and IBC
requirements in the newest versions. Note Vermont is still working off NFPA
2015 for state-permitted commercial work, so the restrictions should not
apply at this time. That is of course unless a local municipality adopted
2021 on their own, which is how roof access pathway requirements came to be
in many VT towns for residences, first required in NFPA 2009 or thereabouts.

On Fri, Oct 21, 2022 at 5:24 PM Howie Michaelson via RE-wrenches <

> This is actually a corporate owned residence - a nice little tax
> write-off...  Jerry, are you saying that from personal/professional
> experience there is a limitation to the size  of the battery bank that a
> residence can take a credit on?  I've never seen reference to anything like
> that before.  Could you possibly elaborate?
> Thanks,
> Howie
>
> *Howie Michaelson**Sun Catcher*
>
> *NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™*
>
> *Solar Electric Systems Sales & Service802-272-0004*
>

> On Fri, Oct 21, 2022 at 2:46 PM Jerry Shafer via RE-wrenches <
> re-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org> wrote:
>
>> On the system size of batteries We have had several issues with resi and
>> 80kWhr limitations, I dont know if this is an issue for you or not just
>> want to through it out there.
>> Jerry
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 21, 2022 at 11:14 AM Howie Michaelson via RE-wrenches <
>> re-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi folks,
>>> I have a client that I'm doing a larger inverter and battery upgrade.
>>> We're are putting in 3Sol-Ark 15k inverters and 7 Fortress 18.5kwh units.
>>> The client is wanting manufacturer certification that the equipment is
>>> "qualified solar electric property". I don't know that I've ever run across
>>> this type of request before or that I've seen manufacturers supply such
>>> documentation. Is this something that anyone is familiar with? Did I miss
>>> something here?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Howie

--

*Kirk Herander / **kirkh at vermont.solar <kirkh at vermont.solar>*

*Owner|Principal, VT Solar, LLC*

*Celebrating our 31st Anniversary 1991-2022!!*

*www.vermont.solar*
<https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=www.vermontsolarnow.com&data=02%7C01%7C%7C9f0330d75a244870112408d685311841%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636842843233477645&sdata=0NjyuKeQbEK6245SNnk8X4XnP9Q%2B%2BqtvcALkdDghvk4%3D&reserved=0>

dba Vermont Solar Engineering

802.863.1202