[RE-wrenches] Todays Mindbender

Dana Orzel dana at solarwork.com
Tue Aug 9 15:53:30 PDT 2022

Hey All,

I have gone around the barn several times with the electrician & the owner
on this & come up with several ideas but none have managed to hit the mark.

Ok for those of you in the low country there are people that can afford to,
& do melt snow in driveways/walkways with electric mats at least for the
first couple of years till they get tired of the power bills and stop
melting snow with the electricity and resort to paying for snow removal or
actually do it themselves. Un fortunately I cannot fast forward my client
there.

I have a client with 2 roofs that can hold 7KW of PV each. 14KW.

The Goal is to support the house with grid tied PV & backup battery power,
and address the large snowmelt & summer AC loads. This was not thought out
in the beginning of the design & construction process so at this point it is
an addon.

Currently there is 1 - 400 A service & they are looking at a second 400A
service. The second service would address snow melt in winter & AC in summer

We are looking at a SolarEdge 11.6KW inverter with 20 KW of battery backup.

There is a hot tub - electric, AC in the summer with 2 condensers, several
refrigerators, etc..

The snow melt pulls 200 amps so it exceeds the 160 amps available on a 200
amp service.

There is a 400 amp service on the house now. 200 amps x .8 = 160 amp for the
house.

They are looking at a second 400 amp service to handle the snow melt In the
winter & the AC in the summer.

I can down size 1 - 200Amp main to 150A and tie in the 11.6KW SE inverter GT
feed OR install 2 - 7.6KW inverters to each of 2 - 200 A mains @ 40 A each
on 1 meter,

OR feed each meter the production of each 7KW array thru a 7.6 KW SE
inverter.

Short of an 800 amp meter/service & if possible I & the client would like to
keep all 14 KW on the one meter & I say this  because when they get tired of
the cost of running the snow melt the full PV capacity could be directed at
the house, hot tub, AC.

If you have addressed this kind of out of control & have thoughts I would
love to hear your thoughts & suggestions.

Dana Orzel                              Great Solar Works, Inc.

C - 208.721.7003                       dana at solarwork.com

Idaho Contractor - # 028765         Idaho PV # 028374

NABCEP # 051112-136                       www.greatsolarworks.com
<http://www.greatsolarworks.com/>

"Responsible Technologies for Responsible People since 1988"