[RE-wrenches] Dark Starting Simpliphi PHI3.5 batteries

Wallace Stahle wstahle at pacific.net
Wed Jul 27 19:37:10 PDT 2022

Hold off on that 48 volt charger Howie,

I was called a while back with the same issue on a set of five of the same model battery. All shut off internally.   Had the same inverter and CC too.   I called Simpliphi which I recommend you do also and was told to turn off all inputs and outputs to battery, close the breaker on each unit individually and read the open circuit voltage.  If 24 v or above simply close the 3 breakers before engaging the inverter breaker as the capacitor inrush can fool the BMS of the battery and shut it off which I found  out when I first shop charged the new batteries individually. If battery shuts down upon inverter connection then toggling the battery breaker again the inverter will connect and you charge with generator as the inverter can now function with the small amount of reserve power present. And/or the solar as conditions dictate.

In my case one of the batteries was 23.7 V but still accepted a charge and have apparently functioned well for the customer. Job was installed by others.

I hope that helps.
Wallace Stahle
Future Electric Energy Co
PO Box 236