[RE-wrenches] lithium in cold weather/heating

Sindelar Solar Allan at sindelarsolar.com
Sat Jul 23 10:00:41 PDT 2022

Jay,
Well, yes, they do need heaters, and I tried the Utah installer's
solution suggested by Nick and it worked perfectly.
This was a job high up in the San Pedro Mountains. Shortly after I
installed a single 16 kWh cabinet, a plumber set up an electric heater
in an unheated space to protect pipes, which of course drained the
batteries. This was an unoccupied home. The BMS shut off the batteries,
which shut off the 24W (total) heating pads and allowed the batteries to
drop below freezing, so that the array couldn't recharge them. It took
running the heater on a portable generator to heat the batteries, and at
331/2 degrees they came back on.

I have attached the pdf of a PowerPoint Kyle sent me that discusses
doing this. The batteries haven't shut down due to temperature before or
since this one occurrence.
Allan

--

*Allan Sindelar*