[RE-wrenches] Equipment for rapid shutdown NEC 690.12

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Wed Dec 14 07:20:44 PST 2016

Hi Wrenches,

We are adopting the 2014 NEC in just a few weeks and will be installing NEC
690.12 rapid shutdown compliant systems for all permits pulled on or after
Jan 1 2017. I thought I’d take a quick poll to see what equipment you are
all planning on using to comply with rapid shutdown for your residential
systems. Some of you are operating in states where you’ve been rapid
shutdown for the last couple of years so you might have valuable insight as
well.

We have historically had the best reliability results with string inverters
and have tried to continue to use them. However, multiple forces are
drawing us towards microinverter systems (or AC modules) and optimized
systems like SolarEdge. For one, our sales reps and designers prefer the
design freedom that these types of systems offer. The module level
monitoring is also a big plus. Secondly, we are installing a lot of
SunPower Equinox AC module systems and the install times are smokin’ fast.
Lastly, these systems are rapid shutdown compliant with little or no
additional effort.

I really like SMA inverters but their rapid shutdown solution seems clunky,
especially when paired with their new US-40 series inverters which have
three trackers. The rapid shutdown box only has two separate tracker
capability so we would need to install two rapid shutdown boxes to make use
of the three trackers. Other string inverter options like Fronius might be
a little easier to design around.

So, for now we are offering SunPower’s Equinox AC system and SolarEdge for
an alternative. I like many aspects of Enphase’s microinverter system but
still feel gun-shy because of all the failures we’ve had. Maybe their newer
generation products have solved their reliability problems.

What are you all using?

Best,

August

Luminalt