[RE-wrenches] Equipment for rapid shutdown NEC 690.12

Matt Partymiller matt at solar-energy-solutions.com
Wed Dec 14 07:51:09 PST 2016

August,

Great question.

Canadian Solar makes a module with SolarEdge optimizers integral.  Trina
offers a similar product with Tigos integral.  I think both products would
allow the string architecture you like while incorporating rapid shutdown.
 I have found these solutions to be less expensive than microinverters for
systems over 4 kW though not necessarily less expensive than standard
modules, strings inverters, and rapid disconnect enclosures.  We have been
trying to specify these module-integral products.

Curious to hear how others are proceeding.

Matt

On Wed, December 14, 2016 10:20 am, August Goers wrote:
> Hi Wrenches,
>

> We are adopting the 2014 NEC in just a few weeks and will be installing
> NEC
> 690.12 rapid shutdown compliant systems for all permits pulled on or after
>  Jan 1 2017. I thought I’d take a quick poll to see what equipment you
> are all planning on using to comply with rapid shutdown for your
> residential systems. Some of you are operating in states where you’ve been
> rapid shutdown for the last couple of years so you might have valuable
> insight as well.
>

> We have historically had the best reliability results with string
> inverters and have tried to continue to use them. However, multiple forces
> are drawing us towards microinverter systems (or AC modules) and optimized
>  systems like SolarEdge. For one, our sales reps and designers prefer the
>  design freedom that these types of systems offer. The module level
> monitoring is also a big plus. Secondly, we are installing a lot of
> SunPower Equinox AC module systems and the install times are smokin’
> fast. Lastly, these systems are rapid shutdown compliant with little or no
>  additional effort.
>

> I really like SMA inverters but their rapid shutdown solution seems
> clunky, especially when paired with their new US-40 series inverters which
> have three trackers. The rapid shutdown box only has two separate tracker
> capability so we would need to install two rapid shutdown boxes to make
> use of the three trackers. Other string inverter options like Fronius
> might be a little easier to design around.
>

> So, for now we are offering SunPower’s Equinox AC system and SolarEdge
> for an alternative. I like many aspects of Enphase’s microinverter system
> but still feel gun-shy because of all the failures we’ve had. Maybe their
> newer generation products have solved their reliability problems.
>

> What are you all using?
>

> Best,
>

> August
>

> Luminalt