[RE-wrenches] SMA $0 series DC disconnect

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Tue Dec 13 17:39:08 PST 2016

Friends:

I am taking a poll to see if any of you have noticed the change in the SMA
40 series DC disconnect as compared to earlier series inverters and how it
may be affecting your installations.  The DC disconnect is no longer in the
lower, connection box area, but in the electronics area.  This means it
will not de-energize the DC connections.  Certain jurisdictions will not
allow us to install this unit without an external disconnect.  The service
manual addresses the subject.

The Remote Shutdown Box unit may provide a means to de-energize PV sources,
but in a webinar today SMA claims it does not meet code, possibly in
regards to lock-out capability.  It actually looked viable to me, but that
is not based on any research.

Soon all or most building mounted PV arrays will require Rapid Shutdown.
This will add hundreds of dollars to the cost of an install, but safety is
safety.  What may sting is adding $400-500 of RS equipment to a carport or
ground mount where it may not otherwise be required.

SMA has concurred that the issue bears further discussion and I should hear
back from them soon.  In the meantime, I thought it might be useful to all
parties to see how much impact this change in design is having to other
installers.

Thanks in advance for any input.  I will report back on what I learn.

William Miller

[image: Gradient Cap_mini]
Lic 773985
millersolar.com <http://www.millersolar.com/>