[RE-wrenches] Grid neutral

Hugh Piggott hugh at scoraigwind.co.uk
Sat Nov 26 01:57:37 PST 2016

hi Allan,

One fact that might be useful to consider is that a three phase supply has 3 hot/live/active wires and one neutral.  The 3 currents returning to the neutral actually cancel each other out (due to phase differences) and in a perfectly balanced load situation there is no need for a neutral, but where a number of diverse circuits are connected there will be some imbalance, so you need a wire there, but it need not be as heavy as the 3 “hot" ones.

cheers
Hugh

Hugh Piggott
Scoraig Wind Electric