[RE-wrenches] Wire nuts

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Tue Sep 6 14:38:53 PDT 2016

1) I've used the Euro connectors you show for decades with good
results.  Not necessarily legal here, but I like them....
2) Before bad mouthing the wire nuts, I've found installer error to
almost always be the problem.  In the installation pictured,  the wire
nuts are not outdoor rated, and they have obviously not been twisted
enough. None of the wires leading into the connector show any twist.
They need to be twisted until the wires wrap around themselves a couple
of turns.

I don't like wire nuts, but they are legal to use for DC, and only cause
problems AC or DC when improperly installed.
I think the real reason we see so many failures on DC is they are
outdoors (more corrosion, hotter) and they are higher continuous
amperage than most AC circuits see.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,