[RE-wrenches] Wire nuts

Chris Mason cometenergysystems at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 12:39:25 PDT 2016

The problem is that wire nuts are not intrinsically sound, a good
connection depends on the skill of the craftsman. They are not legal under
the British electrical code, where I did my training, wires need to be
firmly held under a screw as in a terminal. The US would be better to get
rid of these nasty devices.
In Britain, you see these terminal strips used. As long as they stay dry,
they last forever.
http://my.rs-online.com/largeimages/R4649744-01.jpg

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 3:19 PM, MDElectricSolar . <mdelectricsolar at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Yes, wire nuts, and loose connections are a big issue in AC circuits as
> well. One of my most frequent troubleshooting calls is tracing out
> loose/burnt/arcing connections behind receptacles and switches. Usually
> caused by sloppy workmanship, or contractors being in a hurry.
> Mike
>
> On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 12:14 PM, Glenn Burt <glenn.burt at glbcc.com> wrote:
>
>> Be aware that SMA explicitly prohibits the use of wire nuts in their
>> installation instructions on the DC input circuits.

Chris Mason
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™
Solar Design Engineer
Generac Generators Industrial technician

www.cometsolar.com <http://www.cometenergysystems.com>
264.235.5670
869.662.5670
Skype: netconcepts