[RE-wrenches] Undersize wire on REC meter lug

Drake drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Sat Sep 3 08:21:16 PDT 2016

There are different approaches available. An easy
way to create a good fit that is electrically and
mechanically effective is to fold the end of the
stripped wire to give 2 or 3 thicknesses of the
wire, and then crimp a copper barrel over the
wire. This may or may or may not be acceptable to
an AHJ, but it is quite safe and reliable.

Another approach is to connect the ends of the
#12 to a #6 using mechanical butt end connectors.
Set screw type connectors accept a wide variety of wire sizes.

If all else fails to satisfy local code
requirements, put a J-box adjacent to the meter
base, route the #12 wires to it and change to #6 to go to the lugs.

Drake

At 03:33 PM 9/2/2016, you wrote:
>wondering if anyone has a simple lug solution
>for a problem i found my self in.
>with out looking I used a meter socket for a REC
>meter that is not rated for #12 AWG wire. Â it
>is on a 20 breaker but wire size is too small
>for the lugs.  Is there a simple Lug solution
>that will pass muster or do I need to up size
>wire or swap out the meter socket?Â
>problem with up sizing the wire is we ran 1/2
>conduit so we can only go up to #10. without
>overfilling or replacing the conduit run.
>Hoping there is experience out there that can point me to a simple solution.Â
>Thanks
>
>Daniel TittmannÂ
>CTO
>Greenwired
><http://www.greenwired.com>www.greenwired.com
><mailto:daniel at greenwired.com>daniel at greenwired.com
>707-923-2001 (office)
>707-206-5088 (Cell)
>
>List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
>
>Change listserver email address & settings:

>List rules & etiquette:
>www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>
>Check out or update participant bios:
>www.members.re-wrenches.org