[RE-wrenches] SMA Tripower

Rebekah Hren rebekah.hren at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 07:31:23 PDT 2016

Woah way to pull out an awesome NEC reference Garrison!  I'm not totally
convinced it applies though, since Article 220 is specifically for branch
circuits, feeders and service load calcs. The circuit in question here is
defined by 690.1(b) as an *inverter output circuit*, the OCPD has to be
sized per 690.9(B), and 90.3 says that Chapter 6 as a special condition
modifies Ch 1-4.

I've tried for a few years to figure out good rules for significant digits
in relation to PV conductor calcs, and it seems really hard to apply any
rules consistently or well, when we are dealing with temp coefficients
likes .0031. If you apply common significant digit rules to maximum system
voltage calcs, you seem to end up back at STC VOC... Which makes me
hesitant to round up or down for ampacity or voltage calcs (especially
since I was a liberal arts major in college).

It's a very interesting Code question!

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 7:38 AM, Garrison Riegel <
Garrison at solarserviceinc.com> wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> Can we not invoke Art. 220.5(B) Fractions of an Ampere to round down to a
> 30A OCPD in this case?
>
> I suppose that .1 could be pretty significant when combining many of these
> inverters.
>
> Garrison Riegel
> Solar Service Inc
>
> On Aug 31, 2016, at 11:24 PM, Brian Mehalic <brian at solarenergy.org> wrote:
>
> Hey Wrenches-
> Just a heads up on the SMA Tripower - I like the inverter, but you gotta
> read the install manual!
>
> Spec sheet says 24 A continuous output current for the 20 kW Tripower.
> Install manual (and tech support) says 24.1.  That  extra .1 A takes you
> from a 30 A to a 35 A breaker.
>
> Of course you should follow the install manual not the specs.  But what
> about the label on the side of the inverter?  Well I've seen more than a
> handful that are labeled with a flat-out 24 Aac output current.  What's an
> installer or inspector to do besides hope mfg's can get their numbers in
> order?
>
> Upon closer examination, most of the STPs are 0.1 A higher than their spec
> sheet per the install manual - it doesn't really make a difference on the
> 12 or 15 kW models - just the 20 where you have to go up 1 standard OCPD
> size.  Pretty sure there's lots of 20 kW units out there backfeeding a 30 A
> breaker.  Hmmmmm....
>
> Brian Mehalic
> NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installation Professional™ R031508-59
> 520.204.6639
>
> Solar Energy International
> http://www.solarenergy.org
>
> SEI Professional Services
> http://www.seisolarpros.com

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

> List rules & etiquette:
> www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>
> Check out or update participant bios:

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

> List rules & etiquette:
> www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>
> Check out or update participant bios:

Tel: 336.266.8800
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installation Professional™ 091209-85
NC Licensed Electrical Contractor