[RE-wrenches] Pass through/transition box for Enphase

Glenn Burt glenn.burt at glbcc.com
Wed Aug 10 17:44:05 PDT 2016

Well, I did a little research on these crimps, and they are definitely not listed for use with anything other than class B or C stranding.

So although that may be  the way someone has done it all the time, that is not a defensible argument when it comes to a code violation.

Buchanan-Ideal Splice Cap

UL listing E5238

UL 486C

UL certificate ZMVV.E5238

This standard clearly defines Class C or B stranding as acceptable

The UL 486C standard also describes their use only for Class B or C stranded conductors

NEC 2014

Article 110.14 Electrical Connections

‘Connectors and terminals for conductors more finely

stranded than Class B and Class C stranding as shown in Chapter

9, Table 10, shall be identified for the specific conductor

class or classes.’

So if you are using the older style Engage cables (TC-ER 12 AWG fine stranded cables), you must source appropriate (read listed for this use) connectors.

Researching appropriate methods and techniques as well as continual education makes us all better installers. Codes and materials are dynamic in nature and it is up to us to constantly be on guard for changes that affect the safety and reliability of the systems we install.

Manufacturers are not always correct! Simply because a manufacturer say to ‘do it this way’ does not mean we should ignore the NEC.

I identified the same issue with a dual axis tracking manufacturer recently that supplied SO cord for flexibility and standard Square D circuit breakers/panelboards as connection points. These also were connected together in violation of the breaker/panel listing and they told me they are making a change to supply appropriate ferrules to be used.