[RE-wrenches] getting PV modules up to the roof

Benn Kilburn benn at skyfireenergy.com
Mon Jun 6 13:22:26 PDT 2016

I'm still using the same mod lift for the past 6-8 years, with very minor
modifications. I used the design that was in HomePower years ago. I
switched out strut for pieces of our module rack/rail to make it lighter.
Keep in mind that specific design only works with a fiberglass ladder with
a particular design top on it.  We have an office in a neighbor city that
built one a bit different that works on top of a typical aluminum ladder.

>From hoist set-up, mods up, to packed up, i'd challenge anyone with one of
the mechanical module lifts to keep up on a two story roof install.  One
guy can have ours set up in under 5min and you can have mods on the roof in
under a minute each, round trip (walking from the van/trailer to the lift
with a module, hoisting it, lowering the lift and back to get another
module).  Its safe, fast and KISS.

No doubt that one of the mechanical ones would be nice for much larger
jobs. And i like that some have articulating sections that can flatten out
to run parallel with some roofs. But i've seen how much room they take up.
You need an empty van or trailer just to move the pieces themselves.

*Benn Kilburn *
CSA Certified Solar Photovoltaic Systems Electrician, SkyFire Energy Inc
6706 – 82 Ave NW | Edmonton, AB | T6B 0E7
P: 780-474-8992 | F: 888-405-5843 | www.skyfireenergy.com
[image: email] <benn at skyfireenergy.com> [image: facebook]
<https://www.facebook.com/SkyFireEnergy> [image: twitter]
<https://twitter.com/SkyFireEnergy> [image: linkedin]