[RE-wrenches] getting PV modules up to the roof

Phil Forest philforest at me.com
Mon Jun 6 14:28:45 PDT 2016

Benn,
We have many different methods to get panels up to a roof, depending on the situation. I agree, mechanical lifts take a lot of time and resources to use, for typical residential installs.
Getting panels up to a residential roof quickly, easily and safely is my biggest roof install challenge.
Thanks for sharing your positive appraisal of that mod lift from Homepower. I almost made one. I've only heard good things about it. However, I went a different route, and made a backpack to carry modules up a ladder, any ladder, instead.
When the backpacker gets to the eave of the roof, someone else that's on the roof removes it from the backpack. The primary benefits are that it fits in a van easily, 1 minute set up, the backpacker has two hands free to climb the ladder, and after the module is removed from the pack at the roof eave, the backpacker has the option to continue onto the roof to assist in the module installation if needed (good when it's only a 2 man crew and a steep roof).
No problems with wind, yet, but we only install mods in calm or light winds.
See "solar pack 100" thread that I posted, for past discussion.
I made a short video of it in use, but it's too much data to post here, let me know off thread and I can send it to you, if interested.
But it sounds like you have a good method already.

Phil Forest