[RE-wrenches] Shurflo pump

Mac Lewis maclewis1 at gmail.com
Tue May 31 12:30:36 PDT 2016

Hi Drake,

I'll second Kevin's suggestion that it may be the waterproofing gland.  I
see this as a very weak part of this pumps design and won't ever use that
pump again because of it.  The aquatec SWP-4000 is a very similar pump.
Pump manufacturers should take responsibility for the water-proofing into
their unit.  Under water splices are super easy compared to the
gland/grease mess routine required with these pumps.

As Kevin suggested, bypass the controller and put good ~ 24VDC down there
(using batteries off of your cordless tools works well for this)  These
pumps will pump off 18-20V.

Good luck

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 10:58 AM, Kevin Pegg <KPegg at energyalternatives.ca>
wrote:

> Hi Drake,
>

> We have a lot of these pumps in the field, operating without issue for
> many years, though they are generally operating on some sort of regular
> basis. But lots of customers with seasonal situations that may have the
> pump idle for 10 months a year.
>

> I would suggest applying 12/24VDC battery power directly to the pump
> bypassing controller and see if you get any action, then can narrow down if
> it is a pump issue or a controller issue. Another issue is the waterproof
> gland if not done properly can result in connection issues. Have had a few
> of those.
>

> Kevin

Mac Lewis

*"Yo solo sé que no sé nada." -Sócrates*